The Department of Labor and Employment was established as a full-pledge Department through the passage Act 4121. May 17,1959 was the exact date when the Department extended their services in Region 8, the first office of the Department was located at the De Luna residence at cor P. Zamora and Salazar Sts. Tacloban City. Through the generous support of the late Speaker Daniel Z. Romualdez, a lot was donated by the Provincial Board. Consequently, the DOLE office building was constructed and is located then-now, near the Tacloban Port Area in Trece Martirez St. Tacloban City.